Thursday, May 03, 2012

Run for the Roses - Thursday Notes

If anyone else in Colorado is writing about the Derby, please drop me a line and let me know who. As for the Denver Post, I am pretty sure none of the Nuggets, Rockies or Broncos will be in Louisville this Saturday.

Here is who I like today but I don't have to decide until late Friday where my money goes.

Union Rags (9-2) - Not the line favorite today, but on or near the top last couple of weeks. He's big, he's tall, he's strong and fast. #4 post is a good place for him to start.
Gemologist (6-1) - With the #15 post position he is is a good place to stretch out in the sweeping turns of Churchill Downs. If it rains (40% chance per Weather Channel) he's pretty well screwed.
Hansen (10-1) - Starting just inside Gemologist, which is an advantage, but doubt about his ability to make the distance. 

Cannot ignore: Take Charge Indy (15-1) under Calvin Borel posts #3. Borel loves the rail and performs magic at the Derby, but the least stumble on the start and he's done.

My favorite long shot - Rousing Sermon (50-1) has finished closely behind some great horses -on shorter tracks. From the #7 position if he can avoid getting blocked out he will be in a position to push at the end when the more favorite sprinters start flagging. Big if, but that's the risk-reward thing. I think I might have another $2. 

I'll make time on the show Saturday to discuss. Then join me to watch the race and enjoy a mint julep at the Kress Lounge.
Cheers!

No comments: